Missing FORRTL

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Tue Nov 20 05:02:39 CST 2018

> I'm trying to use the Compaq/HP Extended Math Library  (CXML) on a DEC
> Alpha under AXP Openvms 8.4 - Hobbyist License.
>
> Fortran 8.2 and CXML were part of the Hobbyist distribution I downloaded.
>
> CXML complains that FORRTL is not present or the version is too low, (it
> is not present - $Product show product - )
>
> What am I missing?

I haven't used CXML but I have done a lot of FORTRAN.

As far as I understand it, language specific runtime libraries including the
FORTRAN one come with the base operating system and do not normally show up
separately in $ PRODUCT SHOW PRODUCT.

In VAX days, the relevant file was SYS$SHARE:FORRTL.EXE.  On Alpha, it looks
likely to be SYS$SHARE:DEC$FORRTL.EXE, however, it may not be quite that
simple as there are also other translated images present which may be accessed
using a logical name - $ SHOW LOGICICAL *FORRTL*

Try writing a Hello World FORTRAN program.  If that runs ok, your FORTRAN
runtime library is at least present and you probably need to concentrate on
finding a newer version.

If you have the extended message help installed, $ HELP /MESSAGE
may give you some helpful hints about whatever error message you are getting.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.