Old newsreader source code

Seth Morabito web at loomcom.com
Tue May 8 11:23:26 CDT 2018

I'm experimenting with setting up UUCP and Usenet on a cluster of 3B2/400s, and I've quickly discovered that while it's trivial to find old source code for Usenet (B News and C News), it's virtually impossible to find source code for old news *readers*.

I'm looking especially for nn, which was my go-to at the time. The oldest version I've found so far is nn 6.4, which is too big to compile on a 3B2/400. If I could get my hands on 6.1 or earlier, I think I'd have a good chance.

I also found that trn 3.6 from 1994 works well enough, though it is fairly bloated. Earlier versions of that might be better.

Does anyone have better Google-fu than I do? Or perhaps you've got earlier sources squirreled away?

As an aside: If you were active on Usenet in 1989, what software were you using?

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito
  web at loomcom.com