'90s era PC recommendation.

Grant Taylor cctalk at gtaylor.tnetconsulting.net
Sun May 6 21:45:10 CDT 2018

On 05/06/2018 04:45 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
> Depends on your CPU needs, but if you're willing to settle for P2/P3 era,
> anything using the Intel i440BX or GX generally has very good ISA support.

Well, to be honest, I don't have any real need beyond enough to run the
OS, a basic editor (preferably something more user friendly than
ed(lin)) and run a networking stack.

I /might/ consider playing some old DOS / Windows 3x / Windows 9x based
games, nothing fancy.  (Yoda Stories is the most likely candidate.)

> If you want to go earlier than that (90s covers a lot of ground), a 486
> or P1 or SS7 board might also be a possibility.

Ya.

I'm thinking more in the P I / II / III range.

I've long had a soft spot for the Pentium Pro.  I wonder what those
machines are going for these days.  —  A LONG time ago I saw an
advertisement for a system that could accept six Pentium Pros.  —  This
could turn out to be dangerous.

I've got to say, I don't recognize SS7 as a CPU type.  In fact, SS7
means Signaling System 7 to me.  Different genera, but possibly the
proper time frame.

> I like the Supermicro and Advantech boards, but YMMV.

ACK  I'm fond of Supermicro machines too.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die