Speed now & then (Space and time?)

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Thu Mar 29 23:45:05 CDT 2018

> On Mar 29, 2018, at 7:00 PM, Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Then, in 1986, I bought a MicroVAX-II CPU board from a broker, and a bunch of 3rd party peripherals, and made a copy of VMS 4.7 (Might have used something earlier for a time.)
> I was in 7th heaven!  A REAL computer at LAST!

And now a Raspberry Pi running SIMH can emulate a faster VAX system than that MicroVAX II.  I’m slowly getting my VMS cluster back up and running, but through emulation.  My goal is to power down my Alpha, except when I need a couple programs that won’t run on a VAX.  My fastest VAX (beating my VAXstation 4000/60) is SIMH running on an ESXI server.

Zane