GoTEK SFR1M44-U100...

Tony Duell ard.p850ug1 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:17:08 CDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 5:06 PM, Dave Wade via cctalk
<cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
> [...]

Or quote far too many significant figures. I had an idiot who was asking
for a resistor accurate to 8 significant figures or something. Turned out
it was the series resistor for an LED.... As I said, an idiot...

> They need enough to know that the answer to that calculation will be
> somewhere
> between 2400 and 3500 and probably be able to tell me its likely to be near
> 40 X 70...
>
> ... so take         43 + 5 * 67
> ... well the windows calculator gives 3216 in standard mode and 378 in
> scientific mode....

Or I'm debugging something. I measure the voltage across a resistor as
13.7V. A check with the schematic or the colour bands on the resistor
shows it's a 1.5k Ohm one. So I think 'That means there's a little under
10mA flowing, is that reasonable?'. To have to stop, type the numbers into
a calculator and get 9.13333..mA would take longer and not tell me anything
more in most cases.

-tony