GoTEK SFR1M44-U100...

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 16:17:24 CDT 2018

One thing that bothers me is the continued emphasis on arithmetic and not on mathematics. The kids growing up today will rarely be more than a few feet from a calculator. The first thing on the math test was the "No calculator allowed". I'm not saying that they shouldn't be taught arithmetic but it should be the minimum necessary to recreate a multiplication, square, divide or what ever table. Knowing what 43 * 67 is on an exam is useless in determining if the kid can learn calculus or understand how it relates to the real world.

About the hardest math a person might need to know how do do by themselves it to figure the tip at a restaurant. And even then, if the cell phone is charged it will do it for them.

Dwight