GCC for pdp11

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sat Jul 14 12:51:44 CDT 2018

> On Jul 14, 2018, at 9:46 AM, David Bridgham via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> Hey, glad to hear of some improvement on GCC for the PDP-11.  Last
> spring I ended up side-tracked on the QSIC project and working more on
> FPGA issues than writing PDP-11 code but that's going to change here at
> some point.  I still want to put a soft PDP-11 into the FPGA as an I/O
> controller and will need to be writing code for it.
>
> For the moment, I'm off at my summer job in Alaska but when I get home
> this fall, it's back to working away on the QSIC and maybe my PDP-10
> project where I'm thinking I may also use a soft PDP-11 as an I/O
> processor.  Anyway, I'll grab up the new GCC and see if my issues with
> the 'volatile' keyword are still there.

I didn't directly address anything like that, but it may well be that things are better.  "Volatile" is a very tricky area.  There is detailed discussion in the GCC manual about when volatile objects are accessed.  You may want to review that.  Sometimes the rules are not precisely what you might expect.

	paul