R: Large discs (Was: Spectre & Meltdown

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jan 5 14:24:04 CST 2018

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org
> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018, Mazzini Alessandro wrote:
>
>> I'm  not sure I would use SSD for long term "secure" storage, unless maybe
>> using enterprise level ones.
>> Consumer level SSD are, by specifics, guaranteed to retain data for 6
>> months

The JEDEC spec for Consumer grade SSDs is 1 year unpowered at 30C at end of
life.
The JEDEC spec for Enterprise grade SSDs is 90 days, unpowered at 30C at
end of life.

As far as I've seen, all SATA and NVME drive vendors adhere to these specs
as a minimum, but there's also a new class of drive for 'cold storage'
which has high retention, but low endurance and longer data read times...

> if unpowered... any more time means being lucky. Would suck to save, store,
>> and after some years find the data mangled...
>>

> Yep!
> SSD would be very unsuitable for archiving.

Unworn (meaning only a few P/E cycles) SSDs made from MLC or SLC NAND have
data retention measured in the decade range. Stored at 0C, these would have
~300 year data retention since every 10C below the benchmark temperature
gives you 3x longer retention. Conversely, storing at 40C or 50C puts the
data at risk.

Worn (meaning near end of life) SSDs, especially those that have been
pushed past end of life, have issues.

But, it is a nice fast medium for short-term uses.