non-PC Floppy imaging

rich.cini at verizon.net rich.cini at verizon.net
Fri Jan 5 14:07:51 CST 2018

		I don’t know much about the system itself but if it used one of the typical IBM 8” diskette formats, you may be able to use IMD or Teledisk and an appropriate multi-density floppy controller. I’ve had pretty good success with those two programs.

		Get Outlook for iOS

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM -0500, "Warner Losh via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 12:52 PM, Guy Sotomayor via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I now have a number of uCode diskettes for my IBM 4331.  I would somehow
> like to image them so:
> a) I have backups in case the floppies themselves go bad
> b) be able to investigate their contents in case I have to “merge” the
> contents of multiple floppies to
>      make a single good one
>
> These are all 8” diskettes.
>
> The complicating factors in all of this are:
> a) any text (e.g. strings) are going to be in EBCDIC rather than ASCII
> b) each uCode diskette was presumably serialized to the CPU it was for
> c) not sure what the “on-disk” structure looks like
> d) the only 8” diskette drives that I have are in IBM (non-PC) equipment
>
> Any ideas/comments would be welcome.

I love the imaging capabilities of kryoflux (http://www.kyroflux.com/).
You'd have to remove the 8" floppy from the IBM and connect it to the
kyroflux to do the imaging.

Warner