Orphan HP Alphaservers looking for a new home

Zane Healy healyzh at avanthar.com
Tue Dec 18 13:41:41 CST 2018

> On Dec 18, 2018, at 11:01 AM, Grant Taylor via cctalk <cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> On 12/18/2018 11:55 AM, Zane Healy wrote:
>> My main box is now a Compaq XP1000/667, though I’m slowly moving everything to a virtualized cluster.
>
> Will you please share details about what you're hosting your virtualized cluster on?  Please include emulator and / or hypervisor.

HP SFF PC’s running:
VMware cluster on ESXI 6.7 (and then Ubuntu Linux running SIMH), OpenVMS/VAX 7.3
Ubuntu Server running SIMH, OpenVMS/VAX 7.3 (I need to virtualize this Ubuntu server)

Raspberry Pi 2+:
Raspian running SIMH, OpenVMS/VAX 7.3

Compaq XP1000/667, running OpenVMS/Alpha 8.3

Now that I have the cluster up and running, my primary use for the Alpha is WASD, Oracle RDB, and Fortran, I’ve moved pretty much everything else to SIMH, including drive capacity.  Unfortunately there aren’t any good solutions to move an Alpha to an emulator, when the system is for Hobbyist use.

I find that VM’s running on VMware make an great SIMH host.  Once I virtualize my Ubuntu server box, it will become a 3rd node in my VMware cluster (I’m licensed for up to 6 CPU’s).

Zane