Image de-warping tool, and Multics/GCOS panels

Noel Chiappa jnc at mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Oct 27 10:30:52 CDT 2017

Hey all, I've been doing research on Multics front panels, which it turns out
are slightly different from those on the Honeywell 6000 series machines which
ran GCOS, and are often confused with them.

So, I've put together a Web page about them:

  Multics and Related 6000 Series Front Panels
  http://ana-3.lcs.mit.edu/~jnc/tech/multics/MulticsPanels.html

and I've taken some new images, so make sure the captions are all readable.

I'm having an issue with the images, though: taking a picture of a flat,
rectangular panel with a camera usually produces distortion (even with the
lens set to the narrowest angle possible).

Does anyone know of any freeware which will fix this? The image tool I
normally use (ImagePals, sort of a poor man's Photoshop) does have a 'warp'
function, but it requires setting up a grid of points, and is a pain to use:
optimal would be something where you mark the 4 corners, and few intermediate
edge points, and the image is automagically fixed.

I did find this:

  http://guides.library.illinois.edu/c.php?g=347882&p=2345440

but it's even hairier than the warp function in my image tool; it's very
powerful (and thus complex, sigh) and can straigten out badly warped old book
pages.

I'm hoping there's a simpler tool, for the simple case of distortion of
rectangles by a lens - does anyone know of anything?

Thanks!

	Noel