Livermore Data Systems / was Re: what is this NCR modem? what did it go to?

steve shumaker shumaker at att.net
Mon Nov 27 19:25:09 CST 2017

On 11/27/2017 2:26 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
>>> The Livermore Data Systems modems that I sold off were from about 1964?
>
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2017, Brent Hilpert via cctalk wrote:
>> Were those the Livermore Data Systems modems in a wood box you were
>> selling?
>> Did you have anything to ascertain the 1964 date for LDS, or were you
>> getting that date from the stuff on the web?
> . . .
>> Someone in some comments suggests LDS wasn't building these until
>> 1968, which strikes me as more plausible.
>
> Thank you!
>
> That is why I put a question mark after 1964.
> I was basing it on nothing more than verbal comment by the guy that I
> got them from.   And, while I had them, I hadn't had any reason to
> particularly care.
>
> 1968 does, indeed, seem more plausible.
>

> It still serves to illustrate that 1971 is NOT too early for that NCR.
>
> --
> Grumpy Ol' Fred             cisin at xenosoft.com

I can add another data point to the discussion:

My LDS Model A with SN 0491 has two TI transistors both with data code
"6914"

And for what it's worth, if you have one and have never opened it up, go
do so right now!    The three small circuit boards have a 3"x4" piece of
the infamous black foam to pad the cards when inserted in the case.  Of
course the foam is mostly gone now except for where it wraps around the
cards and corrodes the components that it touches!

Steve