PC-Letter "WUI" War over User Interface 1-1988

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 15:33:35 CST 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:36 AM, william degnan via cctalk <
cctalk at classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Here is an interesting article from early 1988 (probably written in min
> 1987) that compares and contrasts GUIs of the day.  Interesting that they
> do not mention OS/2 by name, by this point it would have been available,
> given I used it in Jan 1987 when I was working at IBM.  Also the XEROX
> interface was not yet dead as the author makes it seem.  If anyone used
> Page Maker on a 1987/88 Xerox machine and compared that with "Windows OS/2"
> machine trying to run the Page Maker on a PS/2 80 you'd probably agree.
>
> Basically I am unsure what planet the author was from, but you can decide
> for yourself.  Talks a little about HP's GUI product, Sun/AT&T, Apple
> Finder, etc.  Mentions NeXT is coming, Commodore is dead, ... opinionated.
>
> http://vintagecomputer.net/cisc367/PC-Letter_19880118.pdf
>
> Bill

Looks interesting. The title and the mention of OS/2* remind me of a book I
once came across, called "Windows vs. OS/2: The GUI-OOUI war" :
https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vs-OS-Gui-Ooui-Interfaces/dp/0442017502 **

* I see OS/2 1.1 is mentioned in the article, but I haven't read it yet to
see how it deals with it.
** It would have been better for the the subtitle to sound like "the
ooey-gooey war", but alas.

--
        Eric Christopherson