Manchester University Joint System in the 1970s

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Nov 17 11:57:36 CST 2017

On 11/17/2017 09:24 AM, Peter Allan via cctalk wrote:
> I was a student at Manchester University from 1974 to 1980. During that
> time I used the University of Manchester Regional Computer Centre (UMRCC)
> computer system. The so-called Joint System consisted of a CDC 7600 with an
> ICL 1906A front end. We used to submit card decks via a Systime (a PDP-11
> clone, I believe) that functioned as a remote job entry service.
>
> I am trying to find out information about the structure of those card decks
> (mine were used for shopping lists years ago), and in particular, what the
> first card in the deck was that routed the job to the correct computer.

I can't help you with your specific case, other than to mention that
Purdue University for a time used a 6500 front-ended by a couple of IBM
7094s (IIRC, and it's been a long time--could have been 7090s), that
might give you a clue.  The VIM community wasn't large.

>From my own experience with 6000s, the SCOPE 1BJ overlay was heavily
modified by various sites.   I imagine that the corresponding code in
the SCOPE 2.x JS code was similarly tweaked.

--Chuck