help needed installing USB to Serial Cable for ADTPro

Adrian Graham witchy at binarydinosaurs.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 16:24:42 CST 2017

On 11/03/2017 21:52, "Joe Giliberti via cctalk" <cctalk at classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> The cable is branded "Ugreen." I've had difficulties with USB to RS232
> adapters in the past, which is why I bought it from the ADTPro
> website. I figured that it would be more likely to work straight away.

I've had difficulties with everything I've used from ugreen, the latest
being an HDMI-DVA adapter which just didn't work 100%. Trouble is with some
of these ebay buys you don't know who made it until it lands on your mat.

> On a venture to the grocery store today, I stopped in at a Radioshack
> which was having a liquidation sale. I bought their "Gigaware" USB to
> serial cable for a decent discount at $20. As I understand it, this
> one uses a Prolific chipset which can occasionally be troublesome..
> Thankfully, there appear to be drivers for it specifically for Windows
> 7.

Prolific! That's the chipset name I was trying to remember earlier. Seems
that most ADTPro folks have more success with that one than the others.

--
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs creator/curator