early networking (was Re: G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...))

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Wed Sep 14 12:38:22 CDT 2016

Earliest networking?  Not telco lines, but hardwired stuff.

I recall that in 1974/75 I was making one of my trips to Control Data
Arden Hills and noticed a backhoe at work digging a trench around the
employee's parking lot in back of the main building.

I asked what was going on and was told that Jim Thornton was
experimenting with high-speed distance networking by laying a couple of
loops of coax around the parking  lot.  Rumor was that he was aiming for
the then-unthinkable speed of 50 Mbit/second.

I don't recall the outcome.

--Chuck