G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Tue Sep 13 20:08:19 CDT 2016

On 09/13/2016 04:45 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

> Did CP/M-86 have networking? I remember it being an expensive, fiddly
> add-on for CDOS years later, and not very flexible then. I don't think
> the UCSD p-System networked at all, and DOS didn't for a long time.
> Only after the advent of WfWg did MS offer a free network stack for
> DOS as standard, and even to this day it's not wildly enthusiastic
> about TCP/IP, although it will do it. If you used Novell Netware Lite
> or P2P Netware, you got IPX; Pathworks, DECnet; Farallon, AppleTalk;
> etc.

CP/Net.  I don't know if Novell ever deployed their RS-422 networking
with CP/M-86 however.

There were networking packages for the PC early on.  Remember Banyan?
They date from 1985. Corvus?  Even Datapoint had an ARCnet facility for
PCs in 1984. Quite a few vendors had 802.3 capability.  Networking,
however disorganized, was a very hot thing by 1987.

--Chuck