G4 cube (was Re: 68K Macs with MacOS 7.5 still in production use...)

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 18:46:23 CDT 2016

On 13 September 2016 at 01:21, Fred Cisin <cisin at xenosoft.com> wrote:

> well, . . .
> you should put a microphone into an old mouse, and start designing
> transparent aluminum panels.

Heh. :-)

It's rather odd. I have, or have had, a number of hobbies over the
years, and most have been odd enough that I never knew anyone else
into them. The closest I've ever come to popular pastimes were things
like being into recumbent bicycles or motor trikes -- pretty niche
activities.

(Oh, and retrocomputing and you lot, natch.)

But vintage mechanical keyboards are a thing of which I'm very fond. I
specifically brought my cleanest IBM Model M with me when I moved
countries, and later, when I bought this Mac mini, I went back to
London and dug out an Apple Extended II and my ADB convertor.

Now, though, vintage keyboard fancying is a big thing, and there are
multiple websites devoted to it. For example, in re my current
keyboard:

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Apple_Extended_Keyboard

http://lowendmac.com/2006/the-legendary-apple-extended-keyboard/

And there are compare-and-contrast pieces:

https://www.wired.com/2008/05/a-tale-of-two-k/

For me, this feels positively mainstream. At both my office jobs over
here in Czechia, people came over to see what I was typing on, to feel
it and try it.

It's most disconcerting.