Membership disabled due to bounces

Eric Christopherson echristopherson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 11:20:53 CST 2016

On Nov 23, 2016 11:05 PM, "John H. Reinhardt" <johnhreinhardt at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On 11/23/2016 8:00 PM, Eric Christopherson wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016, Michael Brutman wrote:
>>>
>>> Gmail routinely marks these emails as spam.  And Gmail clearly says: "
It
>>> has a from address in aol.com but has failed aol.com's required tests
for
>>> authentication."
>>>
>>> Digging deeper into the header one finds:
>>>
>>> "Received-SPF: pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of
>>> cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org designates 199.188.211.196 as permitted
>>> sender) client-ip=199.188.211.196;
>>>        dkim=neutral (body hash did not verify) header.i=@mx.aol.com;
>>>        spf=pass (google.com: best guess record for domain of
>>> cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org designates 199.188.211.196 as permitted
>>> sender) smtp.mailfrom=cctalk-bounces at classiccmp.org;
>>>        dmarc=fail (p=REJECT dis=NONE) header.from=aol.com"
>>>

>>> I'm no expert on dmarc, but that looks to be the source of the pain.
>>

>> Do we have any evidence that his messages are affecting the rest of us,
>> though?
>>

> I get disabled regularly. My address is at Yahoo.  Currently I'm sitting
at 2.0 out of 5.0 for my bounce score.

What's a bounce score, and how do you know what yours is and what the limit
is? Does classiccmp specify 5.0, or Yahoo, or what?

>  The previous disabled messages came at:
>
> 11/20/2016
> 11/06/2016
> 10/25/2016
> 10/18/2016
> 10/13/2016
> 10/05/2016
> 09/26/2016
> 09/10/2016
> 08/23/2016
> 08/11/2016
> 08/06/2016
> 08/01/2016
> 07/19/2016
> 07/10/2016
> 07/01/2016
>
> A fairly uneven distribution.  None repeating sooner than 5 days and
sometimes taking up to 18 days before hitting the 5.0 bounce limit.

> I was thinking of changing my email to another provider even though I've
had this one for at least 12 years.  But if it's because of a configuration
problem, then other providers may react the same way so will it do any good?