KIM-1 Debugging tool

dwight dkelvey at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 13 09:52:47 CST 2016

I've started a new thread.

See:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?54850-Debugging-a-KIM-1-computer

I've created a simple debugging board that one can plug onto the KIM's expansion buss that has debug code on it. It allows one to find out what is failing on the KIM so they know what to replace.

While developing it, I found that my 6530-002 is bad. As we all know, these are custom made and no longer available. There is a similar part, the 6532 that is similar, without ROM.

It can be used with an adapter. I've reviewed both specifications and believe I've figured out how to do it. Others have made them that are configured for the Gottlieb pinball machines but they will not work for the KIM because the KIM selects are configured differently.

I've begun making a hand wired adapter with a EEPROM. This will be in a stacked socket under the 6532. I expect to use the debug board to program it in place.

After verifying that every thing works, I may create PC boards for the debug and 6532 adapter.

I know there are a number of dead KIM-1s out there.

I'm looking to see how many people would be interested in buying a set of boards? I'm thinking in the range of $10 to $20 someplace, depending on volume. I expect to have two small boards for each adapter and one for the debug board. I'll most likely have them made as a set to save cost.

I can populate the adapter boards with the SOIC parts and leave the rest to the person buying the boards.

Please let me know how many people would be interested??

Dwight

Dwight

Debugging a KIM-1 computer<http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?54850-Debugging-a-KIM-1-computer>
www.vcfed.org