vintage computers in active use

Mike Ross tmfdmike at gmail.com
Thu May 26 18:18:57 CDT 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Brent Hilpert <hilpert at cs.ubc.ca> wrote:
> A friend notice this in the news, I heard it mentioned on the radio this morning too:
>         http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36385839
>
> extract:
>         The report said that the Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated
>         intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft
>         "runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses
>         eight-inch floppy disks".

It was a few years ago now and it's third hand - but I was told that
the US Navy still maintained a shop dedicated exclusively to repairing
IBM SLT modules... can't vouch for the veracity of that; perhaps
someone else can.

http://www.corestore.org
'No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother.
Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame.
For one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see.'