Using a Commodore 1541 drive with a PC via USB

Veit, Holger holger.veit at iais.fraunhofer.de
Wed May 25 02:17:10 CDT 2016

Am 25.05.2016 um 06:45 schrieb drlegendre .:
> It may, in fact, be possible - with custom ROMs - to use the 1541 for other
> formats. But it's telling that no one, so far as I know, has ever managed
> to create software to 'tween the various 5-1/4" floppy formats, using the
> 1541 transport & hardware.
The 1570/71/81 drives have a dedicated WD controller chip for the
compatible MFM formats.
I doubt that even with a custom ROM it would be possible to cleanly
bit-bang MFM instead of GCR to the
data/clock port to the drive. With the GCR encoding home-grown by
Commodore there were no tight
restrictions to the data rates that are enforced by IBM compatible
formats; they could invent any rate
their hard- and software could manage.

Holger