Using a Commodore 1541 drive with a PC via USB

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue May 24 23:45:47 CDT 2016

The USB-to-1541 interface is really no different than the parport-to-1541
interfaces, other than they use different hardware-level drivers to talk to
the C= 1541.

All of the later CBM floppy drives are (as mentioned) "intelligent
peripherals". They are nothing short of computerized appliances, controlled
via the CBM IEC serial buss. Your average C= 1541 has the equivalent
compute power of a VIC-20.. but dedicated to floppy drive control and
access.

It may, in fact, be possible - with custom ROMs - to use the 1541 for other
formats. But it's telling that no one, so far as I know, has ever managed
to create software to 'tween the various 5-1/4" floppy formats, using the
1541 transport & hardware.