strangest systems I've sent email from

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:10:27 CDT 2016

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Guy Sotomayor Jr wrote:
> The initial implementation of the A20 gate was implemented by the
> keyboard controller(!) because it was discovered late in the PC AT
> development cycle and we couldn?t add more logic to the board (but we
> could add some wires).

That's very bizzare. It still makes me feel dirty just thinking about it,
but it's interesting nonetheless. I wonder about some of the "clever hack"
software that squeezed a tad bit more memory by dancing around/in
previously reserved memory. Isn't that sort of how Quarterdeck got started
? I also remember XMS and EMS and all that fun, though the Amiga geek
inside me is screaming that I shouldn't reveal that.

-Swift