Front panel switches - what did they do?

Swift Griggs swiftgriggs at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:58:29 CDT 2016

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Marc Howard wrote:
> Those aren't LED's on the Apollo display.  They are EL's (Electro
> Luminescent displays).  Each segment of each digit was controlled by a
> relay.  They astronauts eventually got use to the tinkling sound of the
> relays.

Is that the same as the EL that was used in the 1980's on lots of old
stereo gear ? Ie.. you'd hit rewind and some little backlit
glass-and-silkscreen template would say "Rewind" in blue or green or etc..

I LOVE the way that looks. That's one of the reasons why I love the Amiga
CD32 (not that I own one.... yet). It looks like a hifi stereo component
from the 1980s. I have a Kenwood electronic EQ and spectrum analyzer that
has all kinds of EL elements on the front of it. I still use it daily.
It's awesome.

-Swift