Front panel switches - what did they do?

Marc Howard cramcram at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:13:11 CDT 2016

Those aren't LED's on the Apollo display.  They are EL's (Electro
Luminescent displays).  Each segment of each digit was controlled by a
relay.  They astronauts eventually got use to the tinkling sound of the
relays.

In fact the entire console panel of the command module was a giant EL,
covered mostly in gray paint except where switch legends were needed.  ELs
were highly reliable and dim-able. Unfortunately they required a relatively
high voltage (22 volts or so) which is why relays were needed to control
the display segments on the computer readouts.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the control panel of the IBM 360/91:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_System/360#/media/File:360-91-panel.jpg

Marc