General Question about UNIBUS backplanes

Paul Anderson useddec at gmail.com
Sun May 22 14:02:29 CDT 2016

Hi William,

If I follow right, you have gotten some great advice,,but I'm not sure
about a few things.

Is your 4 slot SPC a DD11-A, DD11-B, or DD11-CK/CF?  The standard one used
in most 1140s is the DD11-B, and a lot had DD11-Cs added later. The DD11-B
will not work with the RL11  and probably not with the MOS board.

The last slot of the the Unibus should have a terminator in A/B.

I don't know how well you know the 11/40, but most cpu options require
jumper changes on various cpu boards. These can can weird problems also.
You can take out the options, M7236, 37, 38, 38, and M787, reset the
jumpers, then put them back in when everything else works.

Shortening the bus is also helpful when troubleshooting.

PDP 11/40s are great! Good luck and have fun!

Paul