Interfacing with HP-HIL

Jon Elson elson at pico-systems.com
Sat May 7 14:05:54 CDT 2016

On 05/07/2016 12:35 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 05/06/2016 10:26 AM, Paul Koning wrote:
>>
>> I think a well chosen hearing aid tube can outperform a classic (not
>> L or LS) 7400 series IC.
> This application sound like a perfect candidate for a CPLD.

The Xilinx 9500 series of CPLDs are not low-power, by any
means. They have a formula in the data sheet and a power
calculator program, that are both WRONG!  They underestimate
power by a factor of 3!!  I reported this to them, and they
said I was right, but they were not going to fix the
documentation!  Sheesh!

(The internal architecture is 36-input diode gates with
pull-up resistors.  You have two choices of resistor,
low-power and fast.)

The Xilinx CoolRunner II is quite low power, basically a
CMOS FPGA architecture.

Jon