Heathkit ETA-3400 vs. ETW-3400 confusion?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 22:47:15 CDT 2016

I've been reviewing the 'conversion' document, found here:

https://nerp.net/~legendre/heathkit/3400/ET-3400_ET-3400A/Heathkit%20ET%203400_modification_manual.pdf

Which describes how to modify the ET-3400/A to mate with the ETA-3400 accy
unit. For some reason, a number of details - pictorials, it seems - are
missing from the document.

All of the missing details seem to involve modification and connection of
an 'RF shield' component, which might refer to a copper tape strip which is
part of the ET-3400 package. Apparently, the they intend for a wide copper
strip to interconnect the ground planes of the two chassis..?

My sense is that the info was left out as it's unnecessary to achieve
correct operation.. more of a "the FCC made us do this" sort of thing. Can
anyone comment on the omission, and any importance it might have?

(My complete Heathkit 3400 series document set is here:

http://nerp.net/~legendre/heathkit/3400/

It includes all of the scanned 3400 materials I have collected, and I
believe it is complete, less the BASIC programming course materials. All
other documents, including the self-taught courses should be present.
Please advise if anything is missing, or if you can supply the BASIC course
documents.