SD Card disk drive for C-64?

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Jan 24 10:05:12 CST 2016

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Eric Christopherson wrote:

> How did these dumb drives interface with the computer at a software
> level? I'd think a DOS would need to be loaded somehow.

The drives had their DOS in ROM.  Keep in mind that the 1541, 1571, etc.
essentially were computers unto themselves with a CPU (6502), ROM and RAM.

The host computer doesn't need to concern itself with what track & sector
the drive is reading from - it just tells the drive "send me <x>"
and the drive is smart enough to do just that.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007