SD Card disk drive for C-64?

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 21:34:08 CST 2016

I can't say much about the other brands, but so far as Apple was concerned,
you're exactly correct. The Apple Disk II drives were quite 'dumb' and
required a disk controller card (installed in a slot, on the motherboard)
plus a software DOS (3.2, 3.3, etc.) loaded at startup from a bootable
disc.

If one weren't careful, it was no trouble to start up an Apple II machine,
write a nice piece of BASIC code, and then be unable to save it to disc -
as the DOS had not yet been loaded. Very annoying, but not a mistake you'd
make more than once or twice.. as loading the DOS requires a system reset,
losing anything in RAM at that time.