Floppy recovery

peter peter at rittwage.com
Tue Jan 5 15:03:12 CST 2016

On 2016-01-05 15:56, Terry Stewart wrote:
>> I wonder how it could take them three months to figure something out.
> Maybe Chuck can comment.
>
> Yes, I would have thought an old MSDOS machine with a 360k 5.25 inch
> floppy
> drive plus Chuck's 22DISK program and the job could have been done in a
> day?  Might be more too it than it seems maybe...
>
> Terry (Tez)

200 disks, especially if they weren't in great shape, can take some
time. I assume they wanted full data recovery using all possible means,
plus conversion of all the documents to a modern format.

With one-of-a-kind stuff, you don't have the luxury of experimenting and
playing around with it. You have to make sure you aren't destroying them
further while trying to read them- sometimes you only get one chance and
the mylar coating comes right off. After that, it's over.

Pete Rittwage
Disk Preservation Project
http://diskpreservation.com