Looking for a small fast VAX development machine

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Mon Feb 22 11:30:55 CST 2016

Jay wrote:

> Peter wrote...
> ------------------
> It is supposed to be 5 VUPS so it should be about 5 times as fast as an
> 11/780.
> I guess whether this is fast enough depends on what you are going to be
> doing.
> ------------------
> I was looking just for something to get me exposed to VMS :)

It should be grand for terminal access to play around with VMS.  Using it to
connect to a DECwindows/X Windows display on another machine might be a bit
sluggish.

> And...
> ----------
> If you haven't already removed the battery, I'd suggest doing that as soon
> as possible.
> Wasn't aware it had that potential issue, I've never opened it up. "Note to
> self" made, will check tonight. Thanks!!

Looks like you might be ok after all - I've managed to dig out a model 40 and
it has a DALLAS chip instead of a battery.  Many of the earlier models had a
NiCd battery.  Sorry for any unnecessary panic caused.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.