Vaxstation 3100 - I have console access

Peter Coghlan cctalk at beyondthepale.ie
Thu Feb 18 04:30:06 CST 2016

> Hi everyone.  I'm hoping that one of the VAX experts out there can help me
> figure out how to get my 3100 booting.  I managed to cobble together the
> necessary cabling and was able to run a "TEST 50" from the serial console.
> Unfortunately my Google-fu isn't sufficient to help me figure out what the
> results mean.  Here is what I'm getting below.  Any ideas where my problem
> lies?

> KA42-A  V1.3
> ID 08-00-2B-16-58-20
>
>    MONO     0000.0001
>  ? CLK      0000.0005
>    NVR      0000.0001
>  ? DZ       0000.4001
>       00000001 00000001 00000001 00004001 00000000 00000000
>    MEM      0010.0001
>       01000000
>    MM       0000.0001
>    FP       0000.0001
>    IT       0000.0001
>    SYS      0000.0001
>    8PLN     0000.0001  V1.3
>    NI       0100.0001

Hi Bryan,

This looks pretty good.  There are no double question marks which would
indicate possibly more serious failures.

? CLK suggests the time of year clock is not set because the battery is bad.
(I suggest removing the battery before it leaks.)

? DZ usually means that one of the serial ports could not be tested (the one
you have the console terminal connected to).

The other results are all good.

What happens when you give it a BOOT command?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.