Are old SCSI tape drives not all created equal?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Aug 26 12:07:06 CDT 2016

On 08/26/2016 09:48 AM, js at cimmeri.com wrote:

> There appear to be different kinds of material used for the rollers.
>  For instance, with a 1999 OnStream DI30 (parallel port 30gb) ADR
> drive, it's a typical black rubber roller like you'd see in many QIC
> drives, and it's turned completely to goo.

> So at least one type of rubber liquifies, and at least one type
> hardens and cracks.

Off the top of my head, I recall that the Archive multi-cartridge
(changer) drives were  the worst--the turning-to-goo rubber is used in
several places and creates a sticky mess that's almost impossible to
clean completely.

HP drives seem to be pretty durable, however--and I've had good luck
with Sony drives as well.

--Chuck