Are old SCSI tape drives not all created equal?

js at cimmeri.com js at cimmeri.com
Fri Aug 26 11:48:48 CDT 2016

On 8/21/2016 6:47 PM, Chuck Guzis wrote:
> On 08/21/2016 04:15 PM, Al Kossow wrote:
>
>> nope, the transport has rubber rollers that crack, and little rubber
>> belts.
>
> That's the transport; but what are the shortcomings of the medium itself?
>
> FWIW, I've got at least one DDS drive with rubber parts that have turned
> to goo.
>
> --Chuck

Which brand & model drives, Chuck?

There appear to be different kinds of
material used for the rollers.  For
instance,
with a 1999 OnStream DI30 (parallel port
30gb) ADR drive, it's a typical black
rubber roller like you'd see in many QIC
drives, and it's turned completely to goo.

But the SCSI version of the same drive
-- a 1999 SC30 -- has a red roller that
appears
to be maybe a silicone rubber.. and it's
still in perfect shape.

A 1996 SCSI Seagate DDS-1 DAT drive, on
the other hand, has what I guess is the
pinch roller. It's not gooey, but is
showing cracks..  Seems like a hard,
black rubber.

So at least one type of rubber
liquifies, and at least one type hardens
and cracks.

Very perplexing.

- John