[OT] eBay tale (Was: Re: flea markets (was Re: Vintage Computer Festivals???))

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Wed Apr 20 11:37:57 CDT 2016

> On Apr 20, 2016, at 09:32, Electronics Plus <sales at elecplus.com> wrote:
> If Jay would host the eBay clone on his servers, I would fork over the $57.
> We don't really need a huge following, but it would grow very quickly, once
> people from the various forums and lists started telling their members about
> it.

I would happily donate that kind of money to create something of value to us. I don't think it would work out well, though, for one reason: The thing that makes eBay the venue of choice is that it is well-known as the place to sell oddball stuff that you might find in your dear, departed uncle's attic. So, when folks outside of our niche hobbies want to get rid of things that would interest us, eBay is where they go because eBay is what they know.

A private special-interest eBay-clone might still be worth investigation as a convenient venue for those of us who are already part of the club to swap our toys, but I don't think it'll replace eBay as a place for new items to find their way back into the hands of dedicated collectors any time soon.

Thoughts?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/