A fruitfull evening

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 19:28:36 CDT 2016

> On Apr 12, 2016, at 8:19 PM, drlegendre . <drlegendre at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> "I suppose it might do that, but that's not its main purpose.  Its main
> purpose is to loosen rusted and otherwise stuck fasteners and shafts."
>
> Here I thought that the 'WD' stood for Water Dispersant (version 40). Also,
> while I have no use for the stuff myself, I've certainly never encountered
> any of the 'horror stories' about it turning to wax, gum, +attracting+
> moisture and fostering rust, ad nauseam.

Yes, it does stand for water displacing, but I figured that refers to the water that's in the rust of rusted parts.  For drying ignition parts I've seen silicone spray; using a flammable spray like WD-40 seems a bit iffy.  Also, one finds WD-40 sold (in bulk as well as cans) in machinery catalogs, far from car ignitions.

And I've seen plenty of warnings against WD-40 in forums discussing metalworking machinery and firearms, or gunsmithing reference books.

	paul