Contents of DEC 8" floppies

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Fri Oct 16 03:07:00 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-16 08:14, Mark J. Blair wrote:
> I have some unused 3M blank preformatted RX02 diskettes. Would those be usable in an RX01 drive?

Yes. The RX01 and RX02 is the same format. It's only the data part of
the sector that differs.

> I don't know what the VAX PSI software is, but I'm guessing it must be for the 11/780 based on the media type. I have zero use for it, but the thought of 11/780 bits being returned to the entropy pool disturbs me a bit. :) Can anybody fill me in on what these disks likely contain, to help me decide whether I might like to trade blank floppies for them?

Yes, most likely a distribution intended for people with an 11/78x. The
software was probably available on several different media.

PSI is (as others have mentioned) the packetswitch interface software.
So X.25 for DECnet.

	Johnny