Fair price and ways to find a teletype

drlegendre . drlegendre at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:34:39 CDT 2015

Brad,

A few montns ago, with a fair bit of help of the folks on this list, I did
up an Altair 8800 rebuild. And apparently you & I both saw the same videos,
as I got all hot and bothered about getting an ASR33 and using it to load
software - BASIC, for starters - into  the Altair. And again, on members'
suggestion, I joined the Greenkeys list.

Too bad, but I was totally +shocked+ at the 'value' placed on ASR33 these
days!! Thousand dollars and more, not all all unusual.. and my resources
just can't justify that level of expenditure for what is generally a
'cheap' DIY hobby of sorts. Meanwhile, a Greenkeys member in St. Louis, MO
popped up with a very nice M15 (ex-Bell) that was Free to Good Home. I have
(or at least had, ha!) a good friend in St. Louis, and he was able to take
care of the pickup for me - and several months later, i arranged to have it
delivered to my house by a relative.

Now the M15 isn't a 33ASR, and lacks the paper tape punch & reader (though
devices do exist). But what it is, is a truly fantastic piece of
electro-mechanical engineering that borders on the "tight metal" genre of
some earlier business machines, such as the Felt & Tarrant Comptometer. If
you have general mechanical experience, I'd say the M15 is roughly on a par
with a 2-spd or even 3-spd automatic transmission, in terms of mechanical
complexity (the the tranny will have a higher parts count.. I think!).

So while they can be worked with, and documentation is plentiful, they are
a bit intimidating the first time you see one in action - or inaction, as
it may be - and they do NOT respond kindly to false moves or other
ham-fistery. But they are well worth learning, and don't yet seem to have
joined their later progeny in the financial stratosphere.

-Bill