HP & 800BPI / was Re: Tape cleaner on eBay

Brent Hilpert hilpert at cs.ubc.ca
Fri Oct 9 14:49:12 CDT 2015

On 2015-Oct-09, at 10:28 AM, Marc Verdiell wrote:
> Glen,
> I'm right in the middle of resuscitating an HP7970E (1600 bpi with the HP-IB
> interface). The main problem I had so far was the rubber in the reel hubs
> had completely fused to the tape reels that were left on the hubs. I had to
> disassemble the hub locking mechanism and use lots of careful X-Acto knife
> work to separate the two. A few tape rollers were rough or stuck - just
> oiled them for now. Then it started to work, I am very surprised. There are
> three red switches on the motor control board inside to make the tape go
> forward, reverse and fast rewind. So it's pretty easy to test if the
> transport works and the motor servos and tension arms move how they are
> supposed to.

I had that problem with the stuck reel hubs. Failed to take my own advice-to-self to leave the reels unmounted and they stuck again, although easier to get off this time as it hadn't been many years under pressure.

> Brent,
> Wow, looked at your site, and you actually wrote a HP 2100 cross-assembler?
> Nice. Would it work for the HP21MX too? Did you compile it using the command
> line tools in XCode?

I had originally written it in a re-targetable cross-assembler in a now-outdated development environment under MacOS9. Last year rewrote someone else's assembler (C source) - it should work in any standard C environment. Was using it to re-assemble HPBASIC.

I'm not familiar enough with the 21MX machines to say what may have been added/changed from the early 2100's in assembly terms, but it shouldn't be difficult to add to the assembler. Can send you the source if you wish.

I had a simulator written in the old OS9 environment too, but haven't brought that into a current state.