Computers in Election Vigils - take two

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Fri Oct 9 11:15:45 CDT 2015

On 10/09/2015 07:38 AM, Paul Koning wrote:

> Very convenient for those who run the government that runs the
> election process.
>
> In the state where I live the setup (by law, as I recall) is a nice
> hybrid.  Paper (mark sense) ballots, scanned by machine.  But anyone
> can look at a ballot and see what it says, and you can recount them
> by hand if necessary.  So the security of the counting machines is
> not actually critical because they aren't the final authority.

We're mark-sense too, but with a key difference.  We have what amounts
to a two-week voting period, with returned ballots sent by mail or
deposited in special drop-boxes (which, when not used for voting, are
used to collect tax payments).  No election-day scramble, no trying to
find a polling place.

I miss the old system of voting in person, but the current one is much
more difficult to manipulate and saves money at the same time.

--Chuck