Manual for the Overland Data OD3201 Tape Drive?

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Mon Oct 5 12:02:53 CDT 2015

On 10/04/2015 11:12 PM, Marc Verdiell wrote:
> Anyone has the operation and service manual for the 9-track mag tape
> drive Overland Data OD3201? Similar to a Qualstar, but seems
> larger-faster-quieter-better. Just succeeded putting it online. This
> one is unusual in its simplicity - it has both a Pertec and a
> Parallel Port interface. Once I found the DOS software in a dark
> corner of the Internet, I connected it to the parallel port of a my
> vintage DOS machine and it worked straight out of the box. Look Ma,
> no interface cards needed!
>
> Reads and writes fine apparently. But it has the common ailment of
> servo motor tape drives, it creeps a little bit at rest. So I
> probably need to adjust a pot somewhere. Would be nice if I could
> find the service manual, but no luck on Googling it up.

I've got a bunch of files that are Overland 32xx-related, but I don't
know if they'll be useful.  I don't recall where I got them off the web,
but I'll be happy to forward them along.  Probably close to 75MB worth.

I don't care much for the Overland desktop drives, due to the chassis
being constructed largely of plastic.  Watch out for the foam in the lid
too--it degrades with age and then develops air leaks and suddenly, you
can't load a tape.

--Chuck