VMS and supported VAX hardware

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Oct 5 02:04:40 CDT 2015

On Sun, Oct 04, 2015 at 12:51:28AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> OpenVMS 7.3 was the last release. And with that release, a few early
> VAX models were officially not supported. However, I think it should
> work, in theory. There is always the question of the machine being
> slow enough, or not have enough memory, to maybe cause problems. But
> DEC never removed the hardware support code.

Interresting, the concensus of this thread seems to be that given enough RAM and
disk space VMS 7.3 should run on most, if not all, VAX models. Whether performance
would be good is another question.

The minimum version needed for a given VAX is another matter. Glen's post gave a
pretty good answer though not complete.

> It also came on one TK50, or about 20 RX50 floppies, for installation.
> (I have some "fun" memories of installing it from floppies when I
> was working at DEC in the mid-80s... Remind me when we meet, and
> I'll tell you all about it.)

Will do, didn't know you had worked for DEC.

/P