A new Lisp-based OS that hearkens back to the old days of comprehensible computers

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 06:45:27 CDT 2015

On 1 October 2015 at 02:34, Sean Caron <scaron at umich.edu> wrote:
> While there are a few "forks" of BSD, there never was a proliferation of
> various "distributions"; that is to say, there is only one, definitive
> FreeBSD, one, definitive NetBSD and one, definitive OpenBSD. All are
> significantly stripped of crud out of the box compared to Linux.

Well, there's one OpenBSD and one NetBSD.

Off the top of my head, FreeBSD has begotten:
* DragonflyBSD
* m0n0wall
* PC-BSD
* GhostBSD
* NeXT BSD

>From some cursory research, there are also:
* MidnightBSD
* pfSense
* FreeSBIE
* DesktopBSD

Whether FreeNAS and NAS4Free count is open to interpretation.

There are others, too.

I have played with PC-BSD and GhostBSD, both of which I quite liked
but found too minimal for me compared to Linux. I thought MidnightBSD
was dead but apparently there's recently been a new release, which I
shall investigate.