PDP 8E Panel Paint Chipping - How to seal edges

rod rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 9 17:04:39 CST 2015

Hi
      As you all know all my experience is with new reproductions rather
than old panels.
I don't expect
I have however seen a lot of pictures of peeling panels.

There are two possible ways a panel could have been made.

      1. Holes first - screen print second
      2.  Screen Print first holes second.

In case 2 above you would be cutting the ink layer and exposing the edge
to attack.

Forty some odd years ago paints and inks would be have been made
differently to today.
Peeling would indicate the bond between the ink and the surface to which
it was applied has broken down.
Transparent film might help but it does nothing for the underlying problem.
I think some kind of penetrating liquid that reestablishes the ink/paint
to plastic adhesion would work.

We have many examples of plastics and polymers  degrading with time:

             Blue rot in DEC Monitors
             Feet on cases turning to a black goo
             Bump stops in hard drives

So I'm not surprised we get problems with old panels.

Rod Smallwood