PDP 8E Panel Paint Chipping - How to seal edges

Todd Goodman tsg at bonedaddy.net
Mon Nov 9 15:09:03 CST 2015

* Doug Ingraham <dpi at dustyoldcomputers.com> [151109 15:00]:
> Depends on why it is peeling.  My glass panel on the Straight 8 was
> peeling.  I suspect finger oil was what started it and once it started
> peeling there was no good way to stop it.  I scraped back to the color
> change line and cleaned the glass and repainted.  That was around 1985 and
> it has stayed put so far.
>
> Your best bet would be to do something similar.  Mask it off and remove the
> peeling paint back to the mask line.  Prime the surface and then paint with
> a color that is close.  If it will be exposed to a UV source you might
> consider overcoating with a UV block type of clear coat.  I think you can
> get clear coat in a non gloss if that is what you want.
>
> You can try nail polish.  The acetone in the polish might dissolve the
> original paint.  If possible try it first in a place that is not visible.
> It could make things worse.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Doug

I could be wrong but I believe it's nail polish *remover* that contains
acetone (unless you get one specifically without acetone.)

I think nail polish has ethyl acetate?

I've seen pinball restorers generally recommend Krylon Triple Thick
Clear Glaze and Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear.  (Check out
http://www.pinrepair.com/restore/index1.htm#bg)

Temperature cycles are particularly hard on pinball glass (hot/cold
cycles because the paint and glass expand and contract at different
rates.)

Pinball glass can get a lot of heating too from the lights.

I don't know how much of an issue that is with a straight 8 or 8E but
something to keep in mind.

Todd