Panaplex display history

Jules Richardson jules.richardson99 at gmail.com
Sat May 30 11:11:25 CDT 2015

On 05/30/2015 10:19 AM, tony duell wrote:

>> JOOI, does anyone know when Panaplex 7-segment displays started going the
>> way of the dodo, to be replaced with LED displays (and, on the back of
>> that, what were the advantages of a Panaplex-type display over an LED one?)
>
> It would appear that in the early 1970s LEDs were very expensive.

At the start of the decide, certainly - but by 1980 I would have thought
that the cost had come down significantly, and LEDs surely had better
longevity than panaplex-type devices, so I don't know what the reasoning
for using them would have been.

Thinking about it though, I'm not sure that I've ever seen a gas (petrol)
pump with LED displays, although I don't know why they wouldn't exist.
Mechanical displays seemed to be the norm back in the day, to be replaced
by LCD displays in the nineties and 2000's.

cheers

Jules