Place of manufacture for DEC equipment?

Rod Smallwood rodsmallwood52 at btinternet.com
Tue May 5 09:57:54 CDT 2015

Well the other story I know but can't confirm also concerned a fork lift
truck and Heathrow.
DEC10's were shipped with the cabs bolted together and sitting on a long
shipping base.
The cargo plane (CL-44?) had a very wide door and the system could be
got in at a narrow
angle and secured on the centre line of the plane. This was done with
the help of a large scissor lift.

At Heathrow they did thereverse. Park the scissor lift at a not quite
parallel angle to the plane.
Push the system onto the scissor lift and lower to the ground. Then
crane it onto a low loader for transport to site.

Well one day there was no scissor lift at Heathrow  and the plane was
needed elsewhere. Some bright spark
had the system pushed up to the doorway and put the lift truck forks
under the front end.and backed away swinging the front end out of the door.
A second truck  then  put its forks under about two thirds of the way
down and  backed away.  The back end  cleared the door OK.
Sad to say the forks were not far enough under the system and it fell
off and went down abount twenty feet.

It was very bent. Then surprise surprise two days later a team from DEC
10 manufacturing arrived with several pallets of parts and proceed to
rebuild it then and there.
They did it in a week and  the system was delivered on time  with very
few knowing what had happed.

Rod Smallwood