Sun SparcStation 4 - Need Help to Hook up cables, & Docs

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sun May 3 14:36:35 CDT 2015

Hold your horses :) We'll get you squared away.

Suns of that era use a proprietary keyboard connection; nothing is PS/2.
You plug the mouse into the keyboard and then the keyboard into the system.
Older Type4 keyboards will work but you want a Type5.

The DB25 labelled A/B is a serial port with ports A & B (ttya, ttyb)
combined. Sun would sell a splitter cable. Standard cabling will give you
access to the "A" port. With no keyboard and monitor hooked up, using a
serial cable with null modem (9600-8-n-1) you should be able to get onto
the console of the system and see how it is set up.

Look at the website below, and scroll down, and you'll get some diagrams
and photos of how the back of a Sparc4 will look and what the ports will do.

http://classiccmp.org/dunfield/sun/index.htm

The monitor should hook up via 13w3, but without a keyboard you're not
doing much of anything. On boot the Sun will search for a keyboard. If
there is none there it will change its default input/output to the serial
port (ttya which we talked about before.)

Any PS/2-style hookup on the back of a monitor may be for 3D glasses or
similar, but I'm not familiar with those setups on Sun systems.

What's the model number of the monitor? Did you get a keyboard at all?

--
-Jon
+32 0 486 260 686